September 2, 2024

Thrifting Stories : Documenting my shoe haul - Part 1 (Boots)

In India, I was always wanted to own good shoes but rarely had access to quality. The ones that were decent were usually priced out of my reach. In Canada thrifting and facebook marketplace opened a lot of opportunities for me to try new types of footwear. 

My first pair of shoes I bought brand new because I was nervous about my first winter in Canada and wasn't going to take any chances. The 'Columbia' boots I'd bought in India (from amazon!) had turned out to be fake. I got a pair of black fleece lined chelsea boots from Solovair after reading a lot of threads on reddit and watching youtube videos for recommendations. I had never worn this style of boot in my life and the ease of use along with the warmth it provided made it a winner for me. They are my 'beater' pair of shoes still and it is evident from the wear and tear on them (they are pictured below in the set).

I have been collecting shoes ever since and its mostly the local thrift stores in Montreal that have been the best source for me followed by FB marketplace. I've even bought pairs for my Dad and Brother. 

I must acknowledge youtubers like Nick from Stridewise, Carl Murawski, and a few others who have had a major influence in educating me on the basics and the choices I make when picking up shoes from shelves.

I do admit this is probably not a healthy habit and I can do well with just a couple of good shoes in the wardrobe. But hey, I need that dopamine rush and better to get it spending 10-15 at a thrift store than at Hudson's Bay. At least that's my excuse for now. 

Brand: Canada West

Brand: Bobbies

Brand: Red Wing

Brand: Chippewa

Brand:Chippewa

Brand: Grenson

Brand: Cesare Paciotti

Brand: Solovair

Brand: Mephisto

Brand: Tods

Brand: Grenson

Brand: AllSaints Spitalfields


No comments: