September 10, 2024

I Got My U.S. Visitor Visa After Years of Procrastination

 

I submitted the DS-160 in October 2023, and my first appointment was scheduled for December 2025.

I was advised to log into the portal regularly to look for earlier dates, which I diligently did for a couple of months before pausing. I picked up the pace again in the new year and was able to snag an appointment for December 2024. Then, in a stroke of luck in April, I managed to get an appointment for August 16, 2024.

Just a couple of days before the interview, it hit me that my marital status had changed—I was no longer single. I searched for information on whether this required any action, and opinions were mixed. Some suggested sticking with the original DS-160 since it was accurate at the time of submission, while others recommended submitting a new form. I chose the latter, filled out a new DS-160, and printed a copy of the confirmation page.

My interview was at the Toronto NIV center on August Avenue. A friend suggested arriving very early due to the crowds that gather in the morning, regardless of appointment time. I later realized this wasn't necessary. The center is well-managed, and only applicants with appointments in the next 30–45 minutes are asked to line up and enter.

There’s a nearby shop where you can deposit your phone and small bag for a fee, but don’t expect much storage space. The NIV does not allow any backpacks, messenger bags, or accessories beyond your passport and file. I was, however, allowed to carry essential medicine with me.

Expect an airport-style security check when you enter. Make sure to comply with instructions, as the staff seem to have seen their fair share of characters. I went a bit overboard and removed my shoes, only to be met with, "You didn't just do that!" followed by a sarcastic "We appreciate it though."

At the check-in counter, I showed my new DS-160, and it was immediately accepted and entered into the system. The staff were friendly by this point.

Inside, it took about 5 minutes to go through the initial paper check and fingerprinting section. A special note about the photograph: they check the stamp and details of when it was taken. I’m glad I swapped my older photo for a new one, taken just two days before the appointment.

Interview Counter:
My experience here was brief. I handed over my passport and said hello.

The officer asked me:

  • What is your purpose of visit?
  • What is your status in Canada?
  • How long have you been a permanent resident?
  • Do you work full time here?
  • What is the status of your sibling in the U.S.?

My answers were concise but sufficient. I was fiddling with the papers in my hand, ready to provide any required documents, but I was told they would ask for them if needed, and to not worry. I let go of my file after that.

"Your visa is approved." I was out of the place within a minute after that.

The visa arrived exactly 10 days later, on August 26, 2024.

Note: This post was proofread and improved by ChatGPT

No comments: