April 6, 2016

That Salary Question!


So a close friend asked me how much I earn in a month. I gave him a rough figure and he immediately converted it into the local currency of the country he's working in. He concluded I was being paid a pittance and that I'd be "worth a lot more" if I gathered the courage to go abroad. Another uncle did the same. Then another cousin.

This forced me to take a step back and think: Am I really underpaid and living a sorry life here in India?

NO.

I have a decent IT job and I earn enough to let me pay the bills, send money home, drive a motorcycle and a car, spend on decent clothes, invest time(and money) in my hobbies, and also do charity work.

And the icing on the cake is I get to do it all while staying close to my loved ones.

The only downside I can think of is I have absolutely no savings. But that has to do with me not spending my money right. My collection of cameras and other retro stuff is partly to blame here.

A close friend pointed out that even if I was employed in another country my savings would still be null. I agree with him!

At this point in career with 4-5 years of experience, a lot of us think "Onsite" for that savings push. I don't have any such aspirations....at least not yet!

No comments: