October 24, 2010

Freezing works!


I was going around sites looking for easy DIYs and computer hacks when I found one that just made my day! There was this long forum thread about how freezing dead rechargeable batteries can bring them back to life. We're all aware how our camera and laptop batteries seem to grow tired with every use and retain less and less charge with time. It's called memory effect.
Everytime a battery is used partially(as we all do wth laptops and cams), the leftover space on it "dies".... Suppose we use up 90% of a full battery and keep it aside, some space in the unused 10% of the battery does not charge next time... This way with time, a battery finally breathes it's last. Or so was thought.

Apparently by stroring a battery in sub zero temperatures for long , the chemicals in it can be "re-oriented" and given a fresh lease of life. I was very skeptical of this method first cause it made no sense. Also, it reportedly worked only on Nickel Cadmium (NiCD) and Nickel Metal Hydride(NiMH) batteries. These are extensively used in AA and AAA sizes and some cameras too.

Mine is a 5 year old dead Lithium Ion(battery) and the forums were already rife with claims that the method didn't work with Li-on. I decided to give it a shot anyway. I wrapped(as instructed) my bulky laptop battery in a moisture proof plastic cover and shoved it to the back of the freezer. I cranked up the thermostat to "maximum"(my Aunt was not amused) and waited. A full 4 days later... my bro took it to his room(ya, he's using the relic now) and charged it a full 12 hours before giving it a try.

And guess what..... it works!!! WOOOHOO


It gives 8 minutes now but with 20 or more charge cycles it should give a healthy 30 minutes or more. Cheers to uber geeks and their forums!

3 comments:

Kriti said...

R u seriously........it really worked? I heard that batteries can be charged if kept in sun .......and it works , i tried this :-)

Aziz Siddiqui said...

yeah... it worked.
guess it works the other way round too :-)

jweymarn said...

No way I´m taking your word about this! Just put all my dead batteries in the freezer next to the french fries! Well see if this is placebo or not... :-)