June 13, 2010

Product Photography @home



Been long since I set out on a photographic "assignment". After playing around during powercuts with my bulky A200 for the past coupla days, I came across this nice book by Scot Kelby on Photography techniques on Google Books. He happens to be a world renown photographer and his books have sold in millions. Though most of the techniques in the book require some elaborate equipment such as Softboxes and sturdy tripods, not to mention some ridiculously priced lens and Flash units, one article on lighting caught my attention and before long I was preparing my... eh... poor man's photo setup(see below).





First I set my AIWA Walkman on a piece of A4 paper with another one for the background, on an exam board. The walkman is important and I'll write about it in my next post. I used my gorillapod to mount the panasonic about a feet away and set it to Manual mode with ISO: 100, speed: 8 seconds and macro focussing.

Then I switched off the light and set the timer on the camera for 10 seconds. When the shutter released, I used the white LED flashlight on my SE camera and illuminated the player with small circular movements. Care was taken to ensure there was minimum shadow behind the player.

The results aren't very impressive but should work fine for ebay. I've seen worse there....







3 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope the worse photographs u have seen on ebay, are none of mine....heehee.

Aziz Siddiqui said...

no.... ur pics are quite professional. and one can't go wrong with a D90 :-p

Unknown said...

I am trying to improve the photographs. Have ordered a small studio set up for product photographs on my last visit to China and it will be coming by end of July with the rest of the goods.